What to Do If You Suspect Your Ex is Putting Your Child at Risk

Posted On July 28, 2023 Children,Divorce

Parenting can be challenging, especially after a divorce or separation. When children are involved, both parents have a legal and moral obligation to ensure their well-being and safety. However, in some cases, one parent may suspect that the other is putting their child at risk. This is a serious concern and requires immediate action to protect the child’s best interests. If you find yourself in such a situation in Washington State, here are essential steps to take.

Document Your Concerns

If you suspect your ex-partner is endangering your child’s safety, start by documenting any specific incidents or behaviors that raise your concerns. Keep a detailed record of dates, times, locations, and descriptions of each incident. This documentation will be crucial if you need to take legal action later on.

Seek Legal Advice

Consult a Spokane Child Custody Attorney as soon as possible. They can provide you with valuable guidance on your rights and the legal steps you can take to protect your child. The attorney can also help you understand how to present your case effectively, ensuring that your child’s welfare is the primary concern during the legal process.

Attempt Communication

Before escalating the situation, try to communicate with your ex-spouse about your concerns. Approach the conversation calmly and avoid blaming or accusing them. Use “I” statements to express your worries and emphasize the importance of the child’s safety. If possible, attempt to work together on finding solutions that benefit the child’s well-being.

Mediation or Parenting Evaluation

If open communication is not an option or doesn’t resolve the issue, consider mediation or a parenting evaluation. In Washington State, courts often require parents to attend mediation sessions to work out disputes regarding custody and visitation. A neutral mediator can facilitate constructive discussions between you and your ex-partner, focusing on the child’s best interests.

In some cases, a court-appointed parenting evaluator may assess the living conditions and parenting practices of both parents to make recommendations to the court. This evaluation can provide an objective assessment of the situation and offer valuable insights into any risks the child may be facing.

Request Emergency Orders

If you believe your child is in immediate danger, do not hesitate to seek emergency custody orders from the court. Your attorney can help you file a motion requesting the court to modify custody arrangements to protect the child’s safety. The court will review the evidence and make an urgent decision based on the child’s best interests.

Obtain a Restraining Order

If there is evidence of domestic violence or abuse, consider filing for a restraining order to protect your child and yourself. In Washington State, there are different types of restraining orders, including domestic violence protection orders and anti-harassment orders, depending on the circumstances. A restraining order can help establish a safe environment for your child.

Involve Child Protective Services (CPS)

If you have evidence that your child is facing neglect or abuse, it is essential to involve Child Protective Services (CPS). You can report your concerns to CPS, and they will conduct an investigation to assess the child’s safety and well-being. Be prepared to provide all the relevant information you have documented.

Call Now Button