Your King County, WA
Family Law Attorneys
click for a free consultation

King County Child Support Attorney

King County Child Support AttorneySecuring the appropriate level of child support can impact your child’s financial security for years to come.

The child support attorneys in King County at Twyford Law Office can advise and represent you in all types of child support matters.

Call our law office at (509) 327-0777 or send us a message online to request your free consultation today. 

Why Hire Twyford Law Offices for Your King County Child Support Case?

  • We have decades of experience handling family law matters and know what it takes to obtain a favorable outcome for your case. 
  • We will help you craft a unique legal strategy based on your family’s best interests. 
  • Our King County family attorneys remain in constant contact with our clients to help give them peace of mind regarding their case and meeting their goals. 

How Can a Washington Child Support Lawyer Help?

Most legal matters involving children tend to be emotionally draining for the parents attempting to manage the situation. A child support attorney can provide objective advice and will make sure the best interests of your child and family are considered. His or her experience and knowledge of relative state laws will be invaluable and dramatically increase your chances of favorably resolving your case.  

How Is Child Support Calculated in Washington?

Parents are responsible for maintaining a child’s same quality of life following a divorce, similar to if they stayed together. When calculating how much child support payments will be, the Washington State Support Schedule is applied. Each parent must disclose their income, then their child support lawyers or a judge can help establish how much a non-custodial parent should pay monthly to support each child. However, the court may also consider the following factors:

  • The number of children involved.
  • The number of children a spouse is providing support for overall.
  • A child’s or parent’s disability. 
  • Any applicable deductions, such as taxes, social security, Medicare, pension contributions, and union dues. 
  • A new spouse or live-in partner’s income.

Depending on these factors, the court can deviate from the standard amount that would be awarded. 

Modifying Child Support

A child support order in Washington can be modified in one of two ways: 

Petition To Modify Child Support Order

If a year has passed from the initial child support, a Petition to Modify Child Support Order can be filed under one of the following conditions:

  • A parent or child is suffering severe financial hardship due to the support payments; 
  • The child turned 18 but hasn’t finished high school, and you wish payments to continue until graduation; 
  • There has been a drastic change in economic circumstances; or,
  • The Support Order was entered by default, without your knowledge.

If the parent responsible for child support payments will be in jail or prison for at least six months, a petition to modify child support can be filed no matter the length of time that has passed from the initial order.  

Motion for Adjustment of Child Support

Filing a Motion to Adjust Child Support Order is typically the quicker and easier route. However, two years must have passed since the initial order was entered, and there must have been a change in a parent’s income or the standards for calculating support changed. 

Contact an Experienced Child Support Attorney in King County, WA

Child support is a complex endeavor, and it depends on a multitude of factors. In cases like these, it is in your best interests to hire an experienced child support lawyer in King County to guide you through. Call Twyford Law Office at (509) 327-0777 today, or contact us online to get started with a free initial consultation.

Call Now Button