Your Spokane, WA
Family Law Attorneys
click for a free consultation

Spokane Family Law Appeals Lawyer

When a court order or verdict has been handed down that you are not in agreement with, you have the right to file an appeal. An appeal sends a request to a higher court, asking for a review of your case and for the judgment to be changed or reversed. If you or a loved one needs help to appeal a court’s decision in a family law case, contact Twyford Law Office. Have your case reviewed for free by calling (509) 327-0777 or get in touch with us online.

Why Choose Our Firm?

  • With more than 40 years of experience, we have successfully advocated for countless clients in the courtroom on issues related to family law in eastern Washington.
  • Our goal is to provide you with personalized service and attentive care, in order to help you achieve your goals.
  • Our negotiation and litigation skills will ensure the best outcome for your case.

Why File an Appeal?

Unless spouses can reach an amicable agreement on all the issues surrounding a divorce, the outcome will be uncertain as it will be left up to a family law judge. That includes property division, spousal support/maintenance, a parenting plan, child support, custody, and more. It may result in one or neither spouse being wholly satisfied with the results and they may want the court order or verdict reviewed by the higher court. However, there is no guarantee that the appeals court will come to a different conclusion.

Appealable Issues

In the United States, appealable divorce and family law matters may involve issues related to property distribution, maintenance, child custody, and more. There must be grounds for the appeal; it cannot only be based on the fact of not liking a court’s decision. These grounds may include:

  • A mistake in how facts were used in the case (court misunderstood the facts, considered facts that were not important, the other party failed to disclose certain facts). 
  • A mistake with how a law was enforced (the court didn’t understand the law or the law was used in the wrong way).

Both temporary orders, as well as final decisions after the completion of a trial, can be appealed. A “stay” or delay of an order’s enforcement may also be requested, pending the outcome of the appeal.

Time Limit on Filing an Appeal in Washington

Contact a Spokane family law appeals attorney to begin the process as soon as a specific order is handed down that you would like to appeal, rather than waiting for the divorce to be finalized as a whole. In Washington state, a Notice of Appeal must be filed within 30 days once the order is given. The same time limit applies to temporary orders as well.

Why You Need a Spokane Family Lawyer

A lawyer will have the experience and knowledge needed to represent you at all stages of divorce and family law appeals. On your behalf, they will handle:

  • Filing your Notice of Appeal
  • Seeking a stay at the Appellate Division
  • Drafting and filing of an Order to Show Cause
  • Oral argument after drafting the legal brief submission

Your Spokane divorce lawyer will have a comprehensive understanding of matrimonial and family law, as well as how the appellate courts have interpreted those laws in the past, which can benefit you in obtaining a favorable court order.

Contact a Spokane Family Law Appeals Attorney

Family law matters and appeals are often complex. At Twyford Law Office, we will take the time to review your case and determine which options are available and best for you. Schedule a free consultation for a family law appeal by calling (509) 327-0777 or getting in touch with us online, so we may start on this time-sensitive issue.